Today we got a comment and question from Vivi.
Here’s what Vivi had to say:
Hi Bob, Im a Indonesian and i have a Filipino boyfriend. We are planning to get marry in Philippine and live there.. Can you tell me whats the requirements or any documents that i have to prepare in order to get Philippines citizenship.. Thanks a lot .
And here is Bob’s response to Vivi:
Hi vivi Obtaining Philippine Citizenship is a long and complicated process. A couple of things you should realize before deciding to become a citizen firstly, you need to understand that you will be required to relinquish your Indonesian Citizenship before you become a Philippine Citizen. This is required. If you still wish to become a Philippine Citizen, here is what I recommend you do: Get married.
- Have your husband sponsor you for a 13(a) Resident Visa so you can live here.
- Start learning to speak one of the major Philippine languages (not including English).
- You must remain in the country for 5 years without leaving, and then you can begin your application for citizenship. Contact an attorney to do this.
- It takes a year for your application to be complete.
- You will need to meet the 5 year requirement of living here, have a Philippine spouse, and know the language. If you meet those requirements and a few others which are less difficult, you can then take the oath of citizenship, and relinquish your Indonesian Citizenship at the same time.
Good luck to you!