Those who have been following this site for a while will already know… I only make significant changes to LiP about once per year.
Significant changes? It could be changing up the looks, adding new functionality to the site, or a combination of the two. I will make minor tweaks during the year, if it is something that is needed to improve the site, but anything major waits until my once per year shake up of the site. These changes happen about once per year. About is the key word. Sometimes it is a little under a year, sometimes it is more than a year, but it is always within that time frame.
The version of LiP that you saw yesterday was LiP version 6.0. Today you are looking at LiP 7. LiP started in July of 2006, so we just wrapped up our 7th year of publishing this site. It’s an appropriate time to come out with the 7th version of the site!
What are the changes in LiP 7?
Well anybody would immediately notice the change in the site’s looks. It’s a completely different look that LiP has ever had before. I like the new look, and I hope you do too. Really, over the years, people (mostly) have always liked the change in looks to kind of shake things up a bit, and keep things interesting. Last year when I changed to LiP 6.0, a couple people said it was a boring look and did not like it, but that was a small percentage. This year, the look is “spiced up” a bit, I think, and i hope those who disliked the previous version will feel that this version is a little better in their eyes.
I kept the main colors of the site blue, which has always been the prevailing color on LiP, except for one year when I shifted to green. I like blue, and I feel that it fits in on this site. I hope you like it too.
What about functionality?
I made quite a few changes in functionality this year. Some will be evident to visitors, other changes will be fairly transparent and go unnoticed by readers.
- In the past, when a new post went up on LiP, a notice was posted on Facebook, so that my friends and readers on FB could come over and read the new article. Now, in addition to new posts being announced on Facebook, they will also go up on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+. This will let a lot more friends know what the topic is for today, and I think bring more people to the site.
The commenting system has been changed a bit. In the past, you had to sign in to my site to comment. Now, you can still do that, but you can also comment using your Twitter, Facebook or WordPress.com accounts. This should help make commenting even easier on LiP. Commenting and community discussion has always been a hallmark of this site (the site has over 125,000 comments!), and this will only make that better!
- You can now receive notifications via e-mail when there is a new post on LiP. Just sign up by entering your e-mail address in the form on the sidebar of this site. You won’t get any spam by signing up, only a notification when there is new content waiting to be read here on LiP!
- You can also elect to receive an e-mail when there is a new comment on a post that you are following. If you want to do that, just check the appropriate box at the bottom of the comment area.
- If you have an account at WordPress.com you can now “Like” the posts.
- As always, if you want your picture to show up next to your comment, go sign up for an account at Gravatar. Now, if you have your Gravatar on your comment, people can hold their mouse over your picture and read information about your profile!
- Posts with multiple pictures can now have the image gallery shown in a fancier “tiled format” (you have probably seen this effect on Facebook before). Also, when you click on the image to see a larger version, you will get a beautiful new carousel display of the images in the post.
- A big part of the Internet is sharing. Sharing things you like with your friends. Now, you can easily share on Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and other social networks using the buttons at the bottom of each article.
- I have added new functionality at the bottom of each post that will tell you about other articles, similar to the one you just read, which you may also enjoy reading.
In addition to these new things, I believe that I have kept the other functionality that people like and use on the site. Did I take away something that you liked and used? If so, let me know, and I’ll consider changing back to how it used to be. I don’t promise to make the change, but I’ll consider it. The decision will be based on how many people want a certain feature.
So, welcome to LiP 7! I sincerely hope you like the new look and the added functionality. Of course your feedback is always welcome, just leave a comment below. Without the readers, the site is nothing! So, thank you for making LiP part of your Internet browsing habit! I really appreciate it greatly.