One last tryBack in January, my wife and I had a discussion about changes that we wanted to make in our business in 2014. Goals and how we would reach those goals during the year. One decision that we made was to keep running AdSense until the end of June, half of the year, and see how it did. We decided, though, that if we did not see a significant increase in our ad revenue during that period, we would eliminate AdSense at the end of June. Last weekend, I decided to make some advertising changes on my most popular website. The changes basically were to move the AdSense ads around a bit, and make some changes in the ad formats. I figured that this being the end of April already, that these changes would have 2 months to perform before our end-of-June drop dead date for AdSense. Well, I was quite happy and surprised when I started seeing how the new ad layout was doing. On the first full day that the new ads were in place, I had a 300% increase in ad revenue compared to the same day of last week! I have now had these new ads in place for 4 days, and each day has had a triple digit increase compared to last week! Yesterday was my best day so far with a 500% increase compared to last week.
So are the new ads working?The answer is easy. YES! In fact, my ad revenue over the past few days is back to what it was a year or more ago, after losing 75% of that revenue over the past year. I am very happy. If things continue at this level, or even near this level, AdSense will be on my sites to stay. I really feel good about the performance that I have achieved with only about an hour worth of work and a few changes to the ad setup on one of my sites.
So, what exactly did I do?What specific changes did I make?
- I placed a 336 x 280 ad at the top of each of my articles, inside the article (in other words with the article wrapped around the ad). I used to have an ad set up like this and it performed very well, but it really dropped off a lot last year, so I removed it. Based on the fact that this new placement is performing great again, I can only assume that my readers became too accustomed to seeing this ad, and became blind to it. Having it gone for 6 months or so and now back again, people are seeing it again, and the ad is performing.
- I placed a 720 x 90 ad inside my articles, about halfway into each article. A lot of people tend to read my entire articles, and thus they are still paying attention well into the article where these ads are placed. So far, this ad is performing very well, and I am happy with it. It is bringing me revenue that I was previously leaving on the table.
- My top ad on my sidebar used to be a 250 x 250 ad, but I changed it to a 336 x 280, and it has nearly tripled in performance since I made the change.
- I removed some ads that were simply not performing for me.